The Liberty Union Party of Vermont defines itself as a nonviolent socialist party. In 2004 the Liberty Union Party had candidates for Vermont’s US Senate, US House and Governor positions, and has, over the years, selected its various Presidential candidates from several national Left political parties.
1. Government ought to move in the direction of assuring that the wealth and resources of the world will be used to provide a materially secure life for all, simultaneously preserving the planet and its resources for future generations.
2. Democracy should exist at all times in all the processes of society, including in the workplace and school system.
3. Everyone’s rights of lifestyle choice and privacy be totally free of government restriction and that government ought to be one form of expression of the variety of lifestyle choices, and that rights of non-violent expression be absolutely protected by government.
4. Everyone have socially productive and personally satisfying work available and a level of living which generates a real sense of security, even when society fails to find a use for anyoneâ€™s efforts.
5. Everyone is entitled to a fair rate of return for their labor including those who are self-employed such as shopkeepers and farmers.
6. Both sexes should be treated with respect and dignity having equal rights and sharing equal responsibilities, and in this regard we enthusiastically urge the adoption of the Equal Rights Amendment.
7. Senior citizens are equally valuable and important members of society and should be given the opportunity for meaningful participation in that society, free from economic deprivation.
8. Nuclear power is intolerably and incurably unsafe, and we oppose the existence or construction of nuclear power plants. It is, therefore, imperative that Yankee Nuclear at Vernon and all other nuclear power plants be decommissioned immediately and in the least hazardous manner, and that all resulting costs be borne by the investors, and consequently we demand a conversion to alternative renewable energy sources as soon as possible. We further demand that research, production, testing of, and deployment of nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons immediately cease.
9. It is wrong for any country to take unfair advantage of the labor and resources of any other country.
10. Utility and communication and transportation services, such as electricity and telephone, are necessaries of modern life which must not be priced out of the reach of any person.
11. Declaration of Independence from Government Dictation of CONSCIENCE:
NOW, More than ever, in the midst of the nuclear war race
WE must raise the standard of WORLD-WIDE human love and SOLIDARITY.
WE MUST REFUSE to burn and kill each other NO MATTER WHO ‘orders’ us to, or under whatever pretext.
WE must REJECT the situation ethics and moral relativism which claim that ‘The end justifies the means,’ and that ‘we must kill them before they can kill us.’ THIS SELF-RIGHTEOUS, SELF-SERVING rationalization and nationalization of conscience in No way cancels our RESPONSIBILITY to REFUSE to be used or coopted by any of the bloody wars and empires whether ‘Democratic,’ or ‘Marxist,’ or otherwise. Worse wars will come, apparently. But WE must bear witness against them, and against war preparations, which are part of the wars. We cannot do everything, especially in view of our individual limitations. But we CAN and MUST SPEAK OUT for peace and NON-VIOLENCE”NOW. A war to end war is a snare and a delusional ”like our destroying a village in order to save it. There is no way TO peace”PEACE IS THE WAY. Even our gun-shooting forebears, for the support of THEIR Declaration of Independence, said We mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor. DARE WE DO LESS THAN THIS?
For more information contact Peter Diamondstone, Liberty Union Party
802- 257- 7250