Proposed changes to the Liberty Union Platform to be confirmed through consensus in the coming month/June 11, 2017.
1. Government ought to move in the direction of assuring that the wealth and resources of the world will be used to provide a materially secure life for all people on the planet—a system of universal, free health care for all (socialized medicine), a system of child care and education that is free from birth to death—simultaneously preserving the planet and its resources for future generations.
5. Everyone is entitled to a fair rate of return for their labor including those who are self-employed such as artists, musicians, small business people and farmers.
6. All genders should be treated with respect and dignity having equal rights and sharing equal responsibilities, and in this regard we enthusiastically urge the adoption of the Equal Rights Amendment.
8a. Nuclear Power power is intolerably and incurably unsafe. We oppose the existence or construction of nuclear power plants. It is therefore imperative that Yankee Nuclear at Vernon and all nuclear power plants be decommissioned immediately, and in the least hazardous manner, with environmentally responsible clean-up of all nuclear waste, and that all with all resulting costs borne by the investors. and consequently we demand…(see below) We further demand that research, production, testing and deployment of ALL nuclear weapons including depleted uranium, biological, chemical and reactor waste immediately cease.
8b. Consequently we demand a conversion to alternative renewable energy sources as soon as possible.
10. Utility, and communication services—internet and phone, and transportation services, such as electricity and telephone are now necessities of life which must not be priced out of reach of any person.
11. Declaration of Independence from Government Dictation of CONSCIENCE: We must raise the standard of WORLD-WIDE human love and SOLIDARITY. WE MUST REFUSE to burn and kill each other NO MATTER WHO “orders” us to, or under whatever pretext. WE must REJECT the situation ethics and moral relativism which claims that “the end justifies the means,” and that “we must kill them before they can kill us.” THIS SELF-RIGHTEOUS, SELF-SERVING rationalization and nationalization of conscience in NO way cancels our RESPONSIBILITY to REFUSE to be used or co-opted by any of the bloody wars or empires. Worse wars will come, apparently. But WE must bear witness against them, and against war preparations, which are part of the wars. We cannot do everything—especially in view of our individual limitations. But we CAN and MUST SPEAK OUT for peace and NON-VIOLENCE—NOW. A war to end war is a snare and a delusion—like our destroying a village in order to save it. There is no way to peace—PEACE IS THE WAY. Even our gun-shooting fore-bears, for the support of THEIR Declaration of Independence, said we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor. DARE WE DO LESS THAT THIS?
This Declaration of Independence from Government Dictation of Conscience stands as an historic document of the Liberty Union Party. It was written in the throes of the American War in Vietnam, during the era of the so-called Cold War with the (then) Soviet Union. The language reflects this context.
Today we are deep into the time of the “worse wars” that we predicted would come. We remain committed to bearing witness against all wars and to speaking out for peace. In so doing we stand in solidarity with the demands put forward by Veterans for Peace:
Veterans For Peace Demand Peace at Home • Peace Abroad! – May 2017:
1. Dismantle the U.S. Empire at Home and Abroad
2. Close U.S. Bases on Foreign Soil – Bring the Troops Home
3. Ban Nuclear Weapons
4. Redirect the Pentagon Budget – Money for Education, Healthcare, Infrastructure and Sustainable Green Energy
5. Dismantle Corporate Control of our Government
6. Dismantle the School to Prison/Military Pipeline
7. Stop Persecution of Migrants and Immigrants
8. End Sexism and Gender Discrimination in the Military
9. Respect and honor First Nation Sovereignty and Treaties
10. End Racism and Racist Violence